Boneless Braised Beef Shank
Prep Time: 15-30 minutes
Cook Time: 3.5 hours
3 whole carrots
2 white onions
4 celery stalks
1 fennel stalk
1 cup balsamic vinegar
2 cups red wine
6 litres beef stock
Salt and pepper to taste
4 beef shanks
- Cut beef shanks into 3 or 4.
- Cut and sauté carrot, celery and onion to form a base.
- Roughly chop 1 fennel stalk and add to base.
- Sauté and season the beef shanks. Place the shanks on the sautéed vegetables.
- Add the beef stock, red wine, and balsamic vinegar until meat is covered.
- Braise at 300°F for 3 ½ hours.
- Individually wrap the shanks when cooled.
- Blend the remaining liquid until smooth and use as reheating agent/gravy.
- Garnish with fennel fronds.