- 4 Alberta Chicken breast supreme (skin on, bone in)
- 1 cup Duck fat
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 2 Bay leafs
- 2 Thyme sprigs, fresh
- 1 Large navel orange, zested & juiced
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- ¼ tsp Fennel seeds
- 1/2 cup Butter, melted
- 2 Large russet potatoes, peeled & thinly sliced
- 1/2 Large sweet potato, peeled & thinly sliced
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- 1 cup Sylvan Star gouda, shredded
- 1 tsp Rosemary, chopped
- ½ tsp Grated nutmeg
- Cracked sea salt & black pepper
Red Wine Raspberry Sauce
- 4 cups Veal stock (can sub beef)
- ½ cup Cold butter cubes.
- 1 Shallot, small diced
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Medium red beet, peeled & diced
- 1 Medium carrot, peeled & diced
- 2 Celery stalks, washed & diced
- 2 Tbsp Canola oil
- ½ cup Red wine vinegar
- 3 cups Bold red wine (Cab Sauv, Merlot, Malbec etc)
- ½ cup Frozen wild raspberries
Herb Whipped Chevre
- 4 oz Fairwinds Farm chevre
- 1 Tbsp Lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp Chopped parsley
- 2 Tbsp Chopped basil
- Cracked sea salt & black peppercorn
Confit Chicken: Add the 4 chicken breasts into a medium bowl, season with salt & pepper, add fennel seed, orange zest, thyme mix by hand until evenly coated. Transfer to a small roasting pan in a single layer & refrigerate covered overnight.
Preheat oven to 375F. In a medium saucepan over medium low heat combine the Duck fat & honey just until liquified & pour over the chicken breasts. Add the cinnamon & bay leaf & cover with foil. bake for 25 – 35 minutes. Let rest in the fat for around 10 minutes. Once rested add the chicken breast to a preheated sauté pan & sear skin side down for 1- 1.5 minutes until skin is crisp.
Dauphinoise Potato: In a large bowl combine the russet potato, sweet potato & cream & mix well. Brush a 2” baking pan generously with the melted butter. Layer 3 layers of the russet potatoes then one layer of the sweet potatoes while sprinkling each individual layer with cheese, rosemary, nutmeg, salt & pepper. Repeat until all the potatoes are used & with the final layer being sweet potato.
Preheat oven to 350F. Bake covered for 1-1.5hrs. remove from oven & let cool to room temperature. Refrigerate covered overnight. When ready to serve, cut the Dauphinoise into wedges. Bake in a 350F oven until hot, 15 minutes.
- Red Wine Raspberry Sauce: In a medium saucepan, reduce the veal stock by 2/3. Meanwhile in another medium saucepan, sauté the shallot & garlic in the canola oil for 1 minute. Add the beet, carrot & celery & cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the red wine vinegar & red wine & simmer on low until reduced by half. Strain through a fine meshed sieve. Add the red wine reduction & raspberries into the reduced veal stock & simmer on low for a ½ hour. Remove from heat & whisk in the cold butter cubes a few pieces at a time to your desired constancy. Season with salt & pepper.
- Herb Whipped Chevre: Add all ingredients into a food processor & pulse until completely combined. Transfer to a container & refrigerate for ½ hour. Using 2 spoons, form quenelles with the chevre & place on a parchment lined tray & set aside. Bring up to room temperature before topping the chicken.
- Plating: Start with the Dauphinoise potato just off the centre of the plate. Serve your favorite vegetable next to the potato, we used grilled asparagus & roasted yellow beets in our photo. Next slice the chicken breast on a bias & place atop the potato & vegetables with the bone inside of the chicken being on top. Gently place the herbed chevre on the chicken breast & finish with the wild raspberry red wine sauce & your favorite blend of fresh micro greens.