By Chef Liana Robberecht
- 2.5 cups Pitted Dates, chopped
- 2.5 cups Milk Stout
- 2 cups Large Flake Rolled Oats
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 1 cup All-purpose Flour
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 0.5 tsp Baking Soda
- 0.25 tsp Salt
- 1 Star Anise
- 0.5 Cinnamon Stick (or 0.25 tsp Ground Cinnamon)
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly spray cake ring or 8” pan with non-stick spray and line baking sheet with parchment.
- To make filling: In medium saucepan on medium heat, combine dates, beer, cinnamon and star anise. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to a simmer for 6-8 minutes. Remove from heat. With slotted spoon, remove dates into a separate mixing bowl and mix with wooden spoon until smooth. Reserve liquid.
- To make base: In food processor, combine oats, flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Pulse 3 times. Add butter and pulse again until mixture is crumbly (peasized). Transfer to larger mixing bowl and crumble with fingers to evenly distribute the butter. Spread two thirds of mixture on base of pan. Top with date mixture, spreading evenly. Finish with rest of crumb mixture, pressing lightly.
- Bake in center of oven for 30-35 minutes. Cool for 1 hour before removing ring.
- To make sauce #1: Using reserved date cooking liquid, remove cinnamon stick & star anise. Thicken liquid slightly with cornstarch and set aside.
- To make sauce #2: Combine ½ cup of sour cream, 1/3 cup of brown sugar and ½ tsp of vanilla.