Vulcan, AB Hulled Barley Risotto
80 g hulled barley
1 Litre vegetable stock
1 medium shallot
1 glass white wine
½ cup butter
40 g Fairwinds Farm aged goat gouda
100 g Gruger Family Fungi mushrooms
3 cloves garlic
Cold pressed canola oil
Salt and pepper
- Start off by slicing the shallot and garlic finely.
- Roast the barley in canola oil in a medium sautéing pan until it begins to smell nutty and the grains take on a slightly darker colour.
- Add the shallots, garlic and continue sautéing for a few minutes. Add the wine and stir the barley until the pan is almost dry and wine has been absorbed by the barley.
- Add in the vegetable stock, one ladle at a time stirring occasionally until the grains are 90% cooked.
- In a separate pan, heat some canola oil and salt on medium-high heat and add your mushrooms. Letting them brown and cook without touching for a few minutes. Start tossing the mushrooms and adjusting the seasoning. Reserve for plating.
- To serve, add the gouda and butter to the barley a little bit at a time, stirring frequently as to emulsion the cheese and fat into the mixture.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan, adjust seasoning and add some liquid if needed. You want the final result to be creamy, not stringy!