120 g egg whites (30 grams each)
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp cream of tartar
200 g sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 ¼ cups chilled whipping cream
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp Irish whiskey
2 tsp. instant espresso powder
Chocolate for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 2 heavy baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a mixer, beat egg whites, salt & tartar in a medium bowl until medium-stiff peaks form. Add the sugar to the egg whites slowly on a medium-low speed. Once it’s added, beat on high until stiff peaks form. Then add the vanilla until it’s incorporated.
- Place the meringue into a piping bag with a medium size star tip. If you don’t have one, just drop meringue with rounded tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets, spacing evenly.
- Place the meringue into the oven for 10 minutes, then drop the temperature to 250F and cook for another 2 hours. Alternatively, place the meringue into the oven and turn it off and let it sit overnight.
- Once the meringues come out of the oven, use a culinary torch to toast them gently. If you don’t have a torch, place the cooked meringue into a 425F oven for 1 minute. Let them cool, and then they are ready to eat!
- To make the filling (optional):
Beat 1 cup whipping cream in medium bowl to medium-firm peaks. Add sugar, Irish Whiskey and instant espresso powder and beat until firm peaks
- Beat remaining ¼ cup whipping cream in a small bowl until firm peaks form.
- Spoon small dollop of cream atop each meringue. Garnish each with chocolate chunks if desired.